Sunday, February 27, 2011

Elephants? 25mm RAFM & Ral Partha

Since I was painting an undead war mammoth, I thought I would continue with an elephant theme. 

The first is an RAFM Ancient Indian Unarmoured Elephant. It has been very hard to track down any information about this piece. I honestly haven't got a clue as to how long it has been sitting in my collection of figures. When researching Asian Elephants I read that they can rang in colour from dark brown to dark gray. I even read somewhere elephants that some may appear to be pink. I originally gave the figure a white base coat and went with a brown wash for it's skin. It had a similar effect to some photos I saw of elephants after bathing, before they become covered again in dust.. I suspect that the model came with two crew, but I only have one in my possession.

RAFM Unarmoured Indian Elephant

The next elephant is an African elephant with a sole crew member. I believed that it should be a two man crew (rider/driver and javalin/bowman). I am pretty certain that this figure was by Ral Partha.The model has easily been in my collection for 25 years and was recently rebased. It always hung out with my Roman Army. I found a photo of one for sale with a Later Carthaginian DBA army at GAJO.

 Ral Partha Unarmoured Catthaginian Elephant 

And finally a photograph of these two elephants next to my Undead War Mammoth to provide some idea of how large it really is.

3 comments:

  1. You did a great job painting everything. There is so much detail!

    This is what I did with some Ral Partha figures - http://www.wackypup.com/artisanglass/pyramid_boxes_by_wacky_pup.htm

    They're not quite elephants though LOL I have a Johzal and a Sylph so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you are moderating your comments. Sorry about the duplicate commenting, but my browser crashed and I thought the first one didn't go through. You really do a nice job on the minis, makes me want to paint some :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz

    Thank you so much for your kind words. I really like how you have combined the imagery of fantasy (Ral Partha minis) with your glass works and pyramid power. I was driven to paint the elephants by a friend who had posted about elephants. After wards I saw an Indian elephant painted by another blogger (I was a Teenage Visigoth) I follow. His work, blows mine away.

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Jk705X0B0hk/TZtVsUa-iTI/AAAAAAAAAzQ/KSyWOIQ4v5Y/s1600/DSCF1656.JPG

    I see from your blogs, you may not paint many miniatures but you're painting up a storm in other ways. I really like your project of painting and donating the portrait of the four legged working partners of search and rescue personnel. An excellent way to say thank you.

    Regards
    Rob Hingley

    ReplyDelete